Police Officer I
- Description of Work
***This is a REPOST. Previous Applicants Need Not Reapply.***
***Hiring Salary Range $36,974 - $41,615***
The Police Officer I provides for the security and protection of legislators, staff, visitors, and property on the state legislative complex and throughout the state during special events. The Police Officer I work under the direction of the Police Officer II. Recurring tasks and assignments are carried out with minimal supervision during the shift.
Examples of duties:
- Investigates criminal violations and suspicious activities and makes arrests or notifies other law enforcement personnel when necessary.
- Patrols legislative complex grounds and building facilities to enforce laws and regulations and to prevent theft, trespass, vandalism, or other criminal activities.
- Enforces parking regulations and controls traffic flow on complex grounds.
- Assists with crowd control efforts.
- Provides dignitary protection and coordinates such activities with other law enforcement personnel.
- Provides information, directions, and other assistance to legislators, legislative staff, state officials, and the public.
- Responds to emergency calls.
- Monitors alarm and surveillance camera computer systems.
- Performs related law enforcement duties as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Basic knowledge of law enforcement concepts, practices, theories, technologies, and problem solving techniques.
- Must be able to pass the Police Officers Physical Agility Test (POPAT) twice a year.
- Ability to work cooperatively and under pressure with legislators, legislative staff, and the public on a daily basis.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to perform daily tasks and assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow department policies and procedures.
- Computer proficiency.
- Willingness and ability to work extra hours when required.
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
5/4 Plan: Consists of 12 hour shifts, rotating from days to nights monthly on the following schedule: Four days on, five days off; five days on, four days off; five days on, five days off.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- Successful completion of North Carolina's Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET).
- General certification as a Law Enforcement Officer in accordance with the provisions established by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission for certified law enforcement officers.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina motor vehicle operator's license.
The Police Officer will be expected to work all weekends and holidays as scheduled. This position may also require the Officer to work other shifts other than those previously scheduled days and/or hours. Based on this schedule, the Police Officer I must be able to work without direct supervision.
- Supplemental and Contact Information
***NC General Assembly positions are NOT Subject to the State Human Resources Act.***
To apply for the Police Officer I position, submit the NC General Assembly application through the NC General Assembly website:
To be considered for the Police Officer I position, all applicants must submit a NC General Assembly application by 5:00 pm on Monday, December 17, 2018.
Applicants must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Currently possess a NC General Law Enforcement Certification.
- Currently possess a NC Probationary Law Enforcement Certification.
- Currently enrolled in NC BLET.
North Carolina General Assembly
Human Resources Office
***Due to the high volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application.***
- The General Assembly offers employees and their eligible family members a comprehensive and valuable benefits program. The employees have the opportunity to participate in a variety of benefits which can enrich their quality of life, their health, and their future. Benefits include employee health insurance options, standard and supplemental retirement plans, NC Flex (flexible benefits - a variety of high-quality, low cost benefits on a pre-tax basis), paid vacation, sick, community service leave, and more.
- State of North Carolina
NOTE: Apply to the department listed on posting
An Equal Opportunity Employer, North Carolina, State Government