Printing Operations Staff
- Description of Work
***This is a Temporary - Full Time Position - During Session Only***
***This vacancy may be used to fill multiple positions***
Employees in this classification may be involved in several aspects of the printing operations in the General Assembly Printing Division. Work is subject to supervision by the Printing Manager and is reviewed regularly for successful completion of assignments. Work hours are generally Monday – Friday with an occasional evening shift, but may vary depending upon the needs of the Legislative Session. Work schedule variations could require weekend and holiday work.
Examples of Duties:
- Perform a variety of copying, collating, and stapling using state-of-art copying equipment.
- Responsible for maintain adequate copying supplies and records of appropriate charges for copying for the non-legislative staff.
- Examine job orders to determine details such as quantities to be printed, production times, stock specifications, colors, and color sequences.
- Inspect and examine printed products for print clarity, color accuracy, conformance to specifications, and external defects.
- Input instructions in order to program automated machinery, using a computer keyboard.
- Load, position, and adjust unprinted materials on holding fixtures or in equipment loading and feeding mechanisms.
- Perform routine maintenance on printing equipment.
- Assist legislative members, staff, lobbyist, and the general public by responding to request for printed bills.
- Employee performs related printing duties as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Capable of locating and retrieving bills using automated file searches.
- Knowledge of computer programming to electronically format and send work to printer.
- Able to effectively coordinate priorities of various production functions simultaneously, while following strict production timelines.
- Knowledge in operating folding and cutting equipment, padding press, hole puncher, and binding equipment as needed.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time, while feeding copy work into machines and offloading printed materials.
- Ability to lift and distribute large quantities of paper on a regular basis.
- Ability to maintain composure and work cooperatively under pressure with legislators, legislative staff, and the public on a daily basis.
- Willingness and ability to work extended schedules to meet the needs of the General Assembly.
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED certificate plus two years of experience involving printing or related work, clerical processing, and customer service work.
- Special consideration will be given to individuals who have experience working in a high volume printing and production environment.
- Special preference will be given to individuals with extensive state government experience.
- Supplemental and Contact Information
***NC General Assembly Positions are NOT SUBJECT to the State Human Resources Act.***
To apply for the Printing Operations Staff position, submit the NC General Assembly application through the NC General Assembly website:
To be considered for the Printing Operations Staff position, all applicants must submit a NC General Assembly application by 5:00 pm on Monday, December 17, 2018.
Please Note: The General Assembly benefits for temporary employees do not include Flex benefits, paid vacation, sick, or community service leave.
Agency Contact Information:
For additional information or questions about this vacancy announcement, please contact:
North Carolina General Assembly
Human Resources Offices
***Due to the high volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application.***
- The General Assembly offers employees and their eligible family members a comprehensive and valuable benefits program. The employees have the opportunity to participate in a variety of benefits which can enrich their quality of life, their health, and their future. Benefits include employee health insurance options, standard and supplemental retirement plans, NC Flex (flexible benefits - a variety of high-quality, low cost benefits on a pre-tax basis), paid vacation, sick, community service leave, and more.
- State of North Carolina
NOTE: Apply to the department listed on posting
An Equal Opportunity Employer, North Carolina, State Government