Geographic Information System (GIS) Specialist I
- Description of Work
***Recruitment Range - $44,324 - $64,383***
The Information Systems Division (ISD) is a central, service-based, non-partisan division of the Legislative Services Office of the North Carolina General Assembly (NCGA). ISD is responsible for providing the Members and staff of the NCGA with the technology infrastructure, applications, and product services required to support the business and legislative needs of the General Assembly. ISD is seeking a detail-oriented individual to fill the position of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist I to join a team that supports the GIS and redistricting activities of the NCGA. Under the direction of a technical supervisor, the GIS Specialist I performs a variety of duties related to mapping, GIS software support, and review and manipulation of geospatial datasets. Because of the nature of the work, successful applicants must be able to excel under pressure and maintain high levels of confidentiality.Essential Functions:
- Create standard district maps.
- Sell stock map products to the public, per policy.
- Create topic and legislation-specific maps as requested by legislators and staff.
- Integrate external geographic and tabular datasets to support mapping and analysis requests.
- Participate in Census Bureau geographic feature review programs.
- Conduct quality control checks on internal datasets and products.
- Provide redistricting software technical support to staff and public terminal users.
- Provide technical support to internal users of general purpose GIS software.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Competency in the use of GIS software.
- Working knowledge of cartography.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Willingness and ability to work extended schedules and to provide on-call support.
- Ability to maintain composure and work cooperatively under pressure with legislators, legislative staff, colleagues, and the public.
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Required Education and Experience:
Two-year degree in one of the following areas: Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Surveying & Mapping, or a related degree and six months of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
Two-year degree in one of the following areas: Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Surveying & Mapping, or a related degree and one year of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Preference will be given to individuals with experience with ESRI Software.
- Supplemental and Contact Information
***NC General Assembly Positions are NOT Subject to the State Human Resources Act.***
To apply for the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist I position, submit the NC General Assembly application through the NC General Assembly website: https://careers.ncleg.net/.
NC General Assembly application must be received by Friday, December 21, 2018, at 5:00 pm.
Agency Contact Information:
NC General Assembly
Human Resources Office
***Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone.***
- The General Assembly offers employees and their eligible family members a comprehensive and valuable benefits program. The employees have the opportunity to participate in a variety of benefits which can enrich their quality of life, their health, and their future. Benefits include employee health insurance options, standard and supplemental retirement plans, NC Flex (flexible benefits - a variety of high-quality, low cost benefits on a pre-tax basis), paid vacation, sick, community service leave, and more.
- State of North Carolina
NOTE: Apply to the department listed on posting
An Equal Opportunity Employer, North Carolina, State Government