Communications Advisor for the Republican Senate Leader
- Description of Work
- The Office of Senate President Pro Tempore Phil Berger seeks a Communications Advisor. Reporting to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications, the Communications Advisor will be a principal communicator between the Senate Leader/Senate Republican Caucus and the news media. He or she will pitch stories, respond to reporter inquiries, develop and implement social media campaigns, and help develop the Senate's message about relevant policies and legislation.
The Communications Advisor must be honest, organized, accountable, and possess exceptional written and verbal communications skills. He or she will be expected to solve problems and execute communications projects with direction from the Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications. He or she must also be able to develop strong working relationships with policy staff and with reporters.
***The position is an at-will position and is Not Subject to the State Human Resources Act.***
Examples of Duties:
- Transform complex legislation, public policy, and legal documents into easy-to-understand communications materials.
- Draft social media content, press releases, talking points, FAQs, newsletters, op-eds, speeches, letters, letters-to-the-editor, and other written deliverables on a wide scope of issues.
- Respond to press inquiries on tight deadlines while multi-tasking on other projects.
- Prepare Republican Senate Leader and other senators for media interviews and press conferences and provide general communications advice.
- Independently identify opportunities to advance a message.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
- Strong character and the ability to make ethically, morally-sound decisions.
- Self-starter who can work independently.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism.
- Ability to share opinions that may conflict with others, including superiors or legislators.
- Proclivity to question the status quo. ("Why are we doing this in this way?")
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to advance an aggressive message when necessary.
- Ability to learn quickly, think strategically and creatively, and multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment.
- Ability to make responsible decisions and give decisive recommendations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and to handle politically sensitive work.
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a courteous and professional manner.
- Knowledge of the legislative process and state government.
- Ability to work independently, organize and analyze materials, and prioritize tasks.
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Required Education and Experience:
- Some college to master's degree.
- Flexibility to work some nights and weekends, as needed, while the Senate is in session.
- Public relations and communications experience strongly preferred, but not necessarily required.
- Supplemental and Contact Information
***NC General Assembly positions are NOT Subject to the State Human Resources Act.***
To apply for the Communications Advisor for the Republican Senate Leader position, submit the NC General Assembly application through the NC General Assembly website:
To be considered for the Communications Advisor for the Republican Senate Leader position, all applicants must submit a NC General Assembly application.
To receive credit for your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the online application form. Any licenses or certificates must be included in the appropriate section of the application form.
Please attach/submit the following four items with your application:
1. Cover letter that addresses the applicant requirements above, employment/educational experience relevant to the position, and reasons for wanting to join the Republican Senate Leader's office.
3. Two to three writing samples, each up to two pages in length.
4. List of three academic or professional references including name, address, telephone number and relationship to the applicant.
Agency Contact Information:
North Carolina General Assembly
Human Resources Office
***Due to the high volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application.***
- The General Assembly offers employees and their eligible family members a comprehensive and valuable benefits program. The employees have the opportunity to participate in a variety of benefits which can enrich their quality of life, their health, and their future. Benefits include employee health insurance options, standard and supplemental retirement plans, NC Flex (flexible benefits - a variety of high-quality, low cost benefits on a pre-tax basis), paid vacation, sick, community service leave, and more.
- State of North Carolina
NOTE: Apply to the department listed on posting
An Equal Opportunity Employer, North Carolina, State Government